[adsl] RTA770W ADSL router - DHCP also Bit-torrent troubles

Neil Harsant Neil.Harsant at syslinx.co.nz
Thu Apr 17 23:17:31 EDT 2008

Hi,
   Over the past few days my Dynalink RTA770W ADSL router
has begun to misbehave in two separate ways:-

Symptoms are:-

-  An existing file transfer ( Bit-torrent download of an ISO ) continues
   successfully but any other transfer requests, DNS lookups or web
   access times out. (Both on the Wireless and on the Ethernet connections)
   This problem "goes away" (for a while) after rebooting the router.

-  Wireless access DHCP does not provide a working DNS address
   (Router configured to get DNS when it connects to the ISP then
    supply this via it's DHCP service). However after I hard coded
    the ISP's DNS addressed via the Dynalink's menu then the DHCP
    provides DNS reliably again. This problem also "goes away"
    for a while after rebooting the router.

I suspect that the first problem may be due to the large number of
simultaneous connections a torrent transfer can create. Perhaps
this "blows" a limit.

The second problem has only been seen recently after I enabled
the Wireless link on the router. The majority of traffic is not over the WiFi
but instead travels over ethernet between the router and a static IP
address on a Linux Firewall.

ADSL Router Firmware Version  is 2.18.01.09a_a023g.d15d

Any ideas/suggestions or config changes?

   Neil