[adsl] P2P on unleashed Orcon Advanced 40 Plans

LEE Tet Yoon leety at ihug.co.nz
Mon Dec 11 10:52:59 EST 2006

At 11:59 p.m. 11/12/2006, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Orcon -are- traffic shaping.. The helpdesk swept it under the carpet
>when I asked, saying it was just a poor P2P service.
>but I get consistently faster results using a P2P client app that (I
>suspect) is not on their banned list (yet).
>
>On the 27th of November Orcon post the following
>The ZeroShock plan is designed to give the fastest speeds for web and
>email, so peer to peer (P2P) is restricted. This means you can use
>P2P applications with this plan, but they may go more slowly than on
>other plans. This is so we can make sure that the things that most
>people like to do online like web and email are as fast as they can be.
>http://www.orcon.net.nz/faqs/residential_broadband_faq/
>how_do_you_manage_the_traffic_on_the_zeroshock_plan/
>
>Then on 5th of December Orcon post the following:
>We do not rate shape, block, or change the prioritisation of peer to
>peer (P2P) traffic on our non-ZeroShock data plans.
>http://www.orcon.net.nz/orcon_blog/orcon_broadband/
>go_large_goes_nowhere_fast_why_is_broadband_faster_with_orcon.../
>
>Maybe it is Orcon who is using confusion as its chief marketing tool
>now?
>It looks like you (and I) need a non-ZeroShock data plan.
>Of course they are still able to point the finger back at Telecom.
>How the hell does Telecom resist putting Skype on the banned list?,
>oh yes, they did try increasing latency recently.
>Big business continues to do what it wants, communications
>commissioner or not.
>
>Happy Christmas anyway, I might go to the beach a bit more!
>
>Bart Hanson.

You mentioned the disputes tribunal. You can go to them if you wish but in any case, you might also want to complain to the Commerce Commision. Although they don't arbitrate AFAIK they do take complaints on board and may act against companies who are behaving badly... I believe someone else e-mailed them a while back and did get a response (check the archives).

Cheers