[adsl] Looking for ADSL VPN Router recommendations

David Hawke David.Hawke at ppfort.net
Wed Dec 13 23:49:38 EST 2006

Steve Barr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if someone can tell me of a good network box to service the
> following:
>
> 8 wired + 2 wireless LAN users at head office
>
> 3 remote branches (to be permanently connected to head office via VPN over
> ADSL Internet (Win XP Pro or Win 2000 clients).
>
> 2 roaming users with remote access
>
> There is no head office server, so the box must be able to act as the VPN
> server (i.e. tunnel terminator).  Head office Internet connection is
> Paradise ADSL.
>
> The Mako box seems good, but very expensive.

At the risk of sounding biased, why not put low to mid range linux boxes
in as firewall / VPN managers / routers.

PII 400 / 64Mb RAM / 10Gb disks with your favourite distribution ... or
possibly ipcop ... do marvellously. I'd favour gentoo or debian. Higher
spec machines will of course do just as well, but work even less.

If you have no other preference for VPN, I'd be looking at OpenVPN - its
a doddle to set up both for permanent links and for roaming links.

DavidH