[adsl] ADSL2 enabled exchanges?

Raimund Eimann raimund at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Feb 9 14:07:47 EST 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Tom Parker wrote:
> Hopefully this will improve the signal to phishing ratio.
>
> Does anyone know how you would find out if your exchange is ADSL2
> enabled? I did some searches and didn't come up with anything useful.

The exchange in Mount Albert Road, near the Buckley Road intersection has
been "upgraded" on 13 December 2007. The perfect ADSL connection I had until
then keeps going down ever since on a regular basis (broken PVC).

> I've got a very old 3Com duallink modem and it while it works great, I
> only get about 2Mb on a good day. I don't really want to upgrade to a
> new modem unless my exchange has been upgraded.

I'm using a Nokia M1122. The connection is approx. 6-7 Mbps, but I'm in the
close neighborhood of the exchange.

Whatever you do: Don't buy a Dynalink RTA1320 (the little ADSL2+ boxes Orcon
gives you for free if you choose to stay with them for 12 months). They are
broken by design. I got to know two of these units, one of them my own. My
friend's unit died after 2 months, my one (according to Dynalink an improved
version) died after 5 days.

Cheers,
Raimund