[adsl] ADSL2 enabled exchanges?

Alex King alex at king.net.nz
Mon Feb 11 15:58:55 EST 2008

I'm not familiar with any adsl2 modems which use pptp to pass the real
world IP back to you linux box.

However, some (many?) of the adsl2 devices allow you to set an internal
machine as a "DMZ Host", which forwards inbound packets which are not
part of an existing connection to a specified machine on the internal
network.  This can probably do 99% of what you need.

Another thing I have found is that many of these devices are running
linux/iptables underneath, so if you can't do what you want to do
through the web interface, you can ssh (or telnet in some cases) to the
device and run iptables commands yourself to set up what you need, if
you're familiar with that.  I've done this more than once.

The problem is then repeating this every time the router looses power.
You probably need a script on your internal box to detect that and use
expect to log into the router and run your iptables commands automatically.

In theory those boxes should have the firmware source and toolchain
available and you should be able to build a new firmware to do what you
want, but alas I don't have the time to work out stuff like that anymore.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex King    Linuxworks