[adsl] ADSL2+ here and now?

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Tue Feb 12 21:04:07 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 09:15 +1300, Philip D'Ath wrote:
> It will require Telecom to change the port settings to say that the
> port is allowed to negotiate ADSL2+.

So are ADSL2+ modems using the ADSL2+ magic and being artificially speed
limited to ~8Mbit, or are they forbidden to use ADSL2+ and fall back to
the original ADSL protocol/encoding/what-have-you?

If the former then I would expect an improvement over the 2Mbit my 8
year old modem gives me. If the latter I wouldn't expect any difference.

I daren't start a discussion about the politics of Telecom preventing
higher speeds even when it has the hardware in place, but I will say
that it feels a lot like the beginning of ADSL, where we were all stuck
on 128kb/s while our modems synced at many times that speed (that is
unless we could afford the very very expensive full rate service).