[adsl] ADSL Routers and multiple Port 25 forwarding

Jp Wise jpwise at theflat.net.nz
Tue Jan 9 14:16:41 EST 2007

Another couple of maybe options which would be a bit trial and error
would be:

1) Put a router than can do routing based on port addresses in between
the two adsl routers and the mail server.
1a) Port forward from one adsl model to port 25
1b) Port forward from the other adsl modem to port 26 (with 26 activated
on server 2 aswell).  this gives you different port numbers for
determining which router it should send it back to via the in between
router.

2) Second NIC (or 2nd ip/subnet on existing nic) - maybe.
2a) routing tables may still be an issue with this. In the back of my
mind the last time I properly played with routing the system will still
go with the 'default default' even if it's via a different nic. But you
might have an option to bind the mail server in SBS2003 to a local
interface and see how it goes with the return routing.

I've used something similar to the first when I had a linux box with two
links (adsl & cable). The cable was primary mx, the adsl secondary mx.
Connections coming in on Cable:25 were forwarded to the mail server on
port 25. Connections coming in on ADSL:25 were forwarded to the mail
server on port 26.  When the return packets came back from the mail
server if it was from mail:25 the iptables were configured to send it
went out via cable. If it came from mail:26 it was sent out via
adsl.     The mail server of course also needs to be enabled for
connections on port 26 aswell.

Jp.