[adsl] P2P on unleashed Orcon Avanced 40 Plans

Raimund Eimann raimund at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 10 20:08:18 EST 2006

Hi,

here's a little history of what happened lately:

I called Orcon on Firday again, complaining that they've obviously changed
my "Advanced 40" plan into a ZeroShock plan without my consent.

The issue was escalated at low priority to one of their techies.

Today everything is still the same, so I called again in the morning, asking
about the status of my ticket. The reply I got was that a technician looked
at the problem and came to the conclusion that there is no problem!

Slowly getting angry, I told the support person I had on the phone that I'm
getting 400 kbytes/s out of a plan that is supposed to be limited to 256
kbits/s and that this should be sufficient indication that most certainly
something is wrong.

Seems he didn't believe me. So he asked me to run a speedtest for him at
los.co.nz. I got 3.12 Mbits/s which is fairly near to the 400 kbytes/s I
claimed before.

He escalated it again. And yes: again at low prio.

Twenty minutes I called them again.

No news at this stage. At least I got the prio increased after telling them I
might close the account altogether, because I can have as many http,ftp, and
rsync downloads at university anyway (for free!).

When I log into the Orcon website and check my plan's details, it clearly
reads "Advanced 40". Apparently they've changed to content of their product,
keeping the label the same, and it goes without saying that all this happened
without my consent.

My feeling is that they deliberately ignore the case. Maybe I'm not paying
enough for the 40GB I tend to use fully each month and they feel I'm a
uncomfortable customer (those who pay for 40 GBytes and use only 5 GBytes of
them are probably more welcome).

I'm wondering whether I should take this to Disputes Tribunal?

> > Changing ISPs will have no effect since the issue is almost always with
> > Telecom and their network not having enough capacity, I regularly only
> > get sub 1000kb/s connections and it is due to my telephone exhange being
> > over subscribed.

The thing is: I'm not asking for more than 256kbits/s

Cheers,
Raimund